Research and Development
Quality Control Laboratory
MRPL Quality Control Laboratory and Polymer testing Laboratories are established under Technical Services Department. The main objective of the Laboratories are to provide analytical support to all process units in addition to product certification.
The activities of laboratory are categorized as under:
- Raw Material Analysis.
- Intermediate sample analysis from all the processing units.
- Finished product analysis and certification as per standards specifications or customer specific standard.
- Utility sample (Raw water, DM water , Boiler water, Cooling water, Instrument air and nitrogen samples) analysis.
- Wastewater treatment plants and Treated Effluent samples analysis
- Plant bulk Chemicals analysis
- Weather monitoring
- Scale and Deposit sample analysis
- Investigation and failure analysis
- Research and Development
QC Laboratory is accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing Calibration (NABL) for ISO/IEC 17025-2005.
QC Laboratory participates in inter-laboratory correlation program and proficiency testing.
QCLaboratory is approved by Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and Center for Military and Airworthiness Certification (CEMILAC), for Aviation Turbine Fuel Testing and Certification.
The Laboratory is headed by GroupGeneral Manager (Quality Control and R&D) assisted by Sr. Managers (Quality Control), Managers (Quality Control), Sr. Laboratory Supervisors, Laboratory Supervisors, Officers,Chemists and General workmen.
The Laboratory is equipped with fully automatic and sophisticated instruments. Testing equipments are calibrated periodically using Certified Reference Materials (CRM) traceable to National/International Standards.
Standard test methods of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Institute of Petroleum (IP), ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation), Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Universal Oil Products (UOP)-USA,. And American Public Health Association (APHA) are adopted.
Some of the microprocessor based fully automated critical Equipments, for Certification of Finished Products are:-
- Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON)Engines for Octane Rating of Motor Gasoline (Petrol).
- Cetane Engine for Cetane rating of Automotive Diesel Fuel(HSD).
- Gas Chromatography (GC) for the determination of Benzene in Motor Gasoline, Component analysis of LPG, Naphtha and Xylol.
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) for the determination of aromatics in Automotive Diesel Fuel.
- Automatic distillation units for distillation characteristic for petroleum products at atmospheric condition and under vacuum conditions.
- Flash point apparatus for the determination of flash points.
- X-Ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy(XRF) for the determination of Sulphur content.
- Induction Period testing apparatus for the storage stability of Motor Gasoline.
- Apparatus for the determination of storage stability of Automotive Diesel Fuel.
- High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) lubricity evaluator for Automotive DieselFuel and Ball On Cylinder (BOCLE) lubricity evaluator for ATF.
- Jet Fuel Thermal Oxidation Tester (JFTOT) for ATF thermal stability.
- Cumulative channel particulate counter for ATF.
- EMCEE Electronics -1140 for Micro Separation Index of ATF.
- Low Temperature bath for Kinematic Viscosity of ATF at Minus 20°C.
- Automated instrument for freezing point of ATF, pour point of Automotive DieselFuel and FO.
- Automatic Density Meter.
- Programmable automatic Titrators.
- Automatic MFI instrument
- NMR instrument for xylene solubility
- Hunter lab colorimeter for yellowness index of polypropylene product.
- Automatic sieve analyser for size distribution.
- Compression moulding machine
- Injection moulding machine for preparing the polypropylene specimens.
- Impact tester (Izod and charpy)
- Universal testing machine
- HPLC for additive analysis
- Cast film extruder with film inspection system for gel count analysis
Some of the sophisticated instruments used are:-
- ICP-MS for trace heavy metals in water, waste water or solid waste (such as oily sludge, bio-remediation samples, spent catalyst, spent carbon and spent clay samples)
- Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS) with graphite furnace for trace elements
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer for colorimetric estimation of impurities like phenols, Sulphides, Iron, Hexavalent Chromium and Phosphorous
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC) analyser for the determination of organic and inorganic carbon contents in water and waste water samples.
- Ion Chromatography for the determination of anions and cations in water samples.
- Micro kjeldhal distillation set up for the determination of ammonical nitrogen and total kjeldhal nitrogen.
- Oil content analyser to determine oil content
- BOD Incubator for the determination of Biological Oxygen Demand .
- COD digester with HACH Spectrophotometer for the determination of Chemical Oxygen Demand.
- Precision pH meter for the determination of pH of water samples
- Turbidity meter for the determination of Turbidity of water samples
- Precision balance to weigh nearest to 0.00001 g.
- Autoclave for sterilization of glassware and for conducting microbiological analysis
- Flame Photometer for the determination of sodium and potassium.
- Temperature controlled Muffle furnace and hot air ovens for drying and ashing.
- Deep Freezer to retain the samples under controlled temperature.
- HDT VICAT Station (Heat Deflection Temperature) for thermal properties.
- Dart impact tester
- Density gradient column
- Automatic density meter
- Haze meter
- Gloss meter
- Moisture balance
- Automatic notch cutter
- Hollow die punch
- Differential scanning colorimeter (DSC)
- Total Sulphur, Nitrogen and Halide Analyser (TSNX)
- Microwave digester with extraction system
- Pellet size shape distribution analyser (PSSD)
- Ball indentation hardness tester
Analysis is carried out by well trained by Officers and Chemists
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT (R&D) SECTION
MRPL R&D section objective and focus is on innovation through sustained process of research & development in technological areas in Petroleum Refining and petrochemicals.
MRPL R&D section is committed to:
- Set up of world class facilities to undertake research and development activities in areas such as Catalysis, and Corrosion.
- Create a vibrant and challenging R&D environment in MRPL R&D section to attract best knowledge base and develop competency for basic and applied research for innovation, invention and discovery and for effective implementation of the technological breakthroughs to bring techno-economical benefits to the organization and to the nation.
MRPL’s R&D centre is focused for:
- Provide technological & analytical support to Technical Services for Catalyst selection and other additives selection.
- Enhance customer satisfaction by providing analytical and technical support for customer complaints.
MRPL R&D Activities:
- Crude Evaluation:
- Evaluation of crude and crude blends for detailed physical and chemical characterization.
- Catalyst Evaluation:
- Physico-chemical characterization of PFCC catalyst for catalyst selection and for decision making on catalyst procurement.
- Physico-chemical characterization and PFCC unit E- catalyst.
- Polypropylene property evaluation based on market demand and customer requirements.
R&D laboratory is equipped with sophisticated testing equipments such as:
- TRUE BOILING POINT APPARATUS – for fractional distillation of Crude Oil for yield pattern fraction property evaluation.
- ADVANCED FCC CATALYST MICRO ACTIVITY EVALUATION UNIT – for conversion, selectivity evaluation of FCC catalyst.
- FCC CATALYST DEACTIVATION UNIT – for FCC catalyst steam and metallation deactivation studies.
- PIONA PRE-FRAC GAS CHROMATOGRAPH - for the detailed analysis of MAT products.
- AUTOMATED SORPTOMETER – for characterization of Catalysts for Surface area, pore-size, pore-volume and to determine the active sites.
- ATOMIC ABSORPTION SPECTROPHOTOMETER –for trace metal analysis.
- SIMULATED DISTILLATION ANALYZER – for high boiling fractions GC distillation.