Health and Safety
Safety Management Systems
- MRPL's 15 MMPTA Refinery at Mangalore already accredited with ISO 9001: 2000 and ISO 14001 & ISO 5000 company has been awarded the 5 Star rating for its Health and Safety Management system by the prestigious British Safety Council, U. K. The fire prevention and protection systems at MRPL have been developed in keeping with the hazardous nature of the Refining Industry and conform to OISD and TAC guidelines.
- Safety Statistics: MRPL successfully achieved 1165 accident free days (12.43 MMHrs.) as on 31st March 2015 without Reportable Lost Time Injury (RLTI) and the previous best accident free days was 1662 (12.10 MMHrs.).
- Safety Award: The Safety Award Policy for accident free days has been constituted as an incentive to encourage employees and contractors to practice and ensure Safe work environment.
- The following systems and procedures are in place:
- Area Safety Committee: On the departmental level Area Safety Committees headed by the respective GM / DGM and comprising of Supervisory and non-Supervisory staff have been set up to meet once every month to evaluate, control and investigate factors that have accident potential and provide solutions.
- Central Safety Committee : An Apex body known as the Central Safety Committee is established with the purpose of reviewing and monitoring the working of the Area Safety Committees. The CSC meets once every month under the Chairmanship of the Vice President (Tech. Services) with DGM (F&S) as its Secretary. The Committee includes all ASC Chairmen, H.O.D's, Chief Medical Officer, Welfare Officer and Purchase Department representative.
- Work Permit System: MRPL has devised Work Permit System based on OISD guidelines to ensure jobs are performed in a safe manner with the active cooperation of the Operating and maintenance groups. Fire & Safety verifies compliance of written advice and erring parties are suitably advised for corrective action. Various Work permits prevalent at MRPL are given below.
- Cold Work Permit
- Hot work / Vehicle entry Permit
- Confined Space Entry / Vessel Entry /Box-up Permit
- Excavation Permit
- Electrical Work Permit
- Radiation Safety Permit.
- Working on Fragile Roof/Height.
Audits: Various Audits have been conducted by renowned external agencies like British Safety Council, KLG-TNO, LPA, Munich Re, HPCL and OISD. The high level of safety awareness achieved at MRPL has been lauded by all such internationally acclaimed Audit agencies.
Publications: Yearly Safety Report is published on every Safety Day falling on 4 th March. Safety Newsletter is published every month discussing case studies with remedial action. Subjects related to our Housing Colony including evacuation procedures is also published and circulated. Fire & Safety Manual, Onsite Emergency Response Management Plan, Job Safety Procedures, Material Data Sheet (MSDS), safety in Transportation of Hazardous goods are published and also displayed on MRPL's internal Internet for the benefit of all employees.
Safefty Trainings :MRPL has a dedicated Fire & Safety section consisting of Officers trained by the National Fire Service College, Nagpur, (Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India) and the Central Labour Institute. Deputy General Manager, heads the Department and in accordance with the Factory Act reports directly to the Vice President Operations of company.
Training for Employees : Training in fire fighting is an ongoing full day program conducted every fortnight involving fire operators and Plant employees. The curriculum of the training program includes theoretical classroom lectures at our dedicated Training Centre followed by simulated live fire fighting training at the Fire Training ground having various models designed as per OISD. It is mandatory for every employee joining our company to undergo one-day induction training program on Industrial Safety.
Training for Contract employees : Each and every Contract workmen are covered under periodic half-day training programs. Refinery Entry gate passes to contract workmen are issued only after they undergo MRPL's Industrial Safety Training.
Safety First is the Company's motto.
- Continuous training on plant safety for employees and contract labourers.
- Training on safety for neighbouring industries.
- MRPL is the convener of the Mangalore chapter for the National Safety Council.