Research and Development
Quality Control Laboratory
MRPL Quality Control Laboratory is established under Technical Services Department. The main objective of the Laboratory is to provide round the clock analytical assistance to all the units in addition to product certification. It is responsible for exercising a strict control over the quality of the finished products as well as the Treated Effluent.
The activities of laboratory are categorized as under:
- Raw Material Analysis.
- Intermediate sample analysis from all the processing units.
- Finished product analysis and certification as per specified standards or customer specific standard.
- Utility units sample (Raw water and DM water treatment plant samples, Boiler water, Cooling water samples, Plant and Instrument Air samples and Nitrogen samples) analysis.
- Wastewater treatment plants and Treated Effluent samples analysis.
- Plant bulk Chemicals analysis.
- Weather monitoring.
- Scale and Deposit sample analysis.
- Investigation and failure analysis.
- Research and Development.
The Laboratory is accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing Calibration (NABL) for ISO/IEC 17025-2005(General requirements for the competence of Testing and Calibration Laboratories).
Laboratory participates in Inter-Laboratory correlation program and Proficiency Testing.
The Laboratory is approved by Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), Center for Military Airworthiness and Certification (CEMILAC) and Directorate General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA), Ministry of Defence, for Aviation Turbine Fuel Testing and Certification. Laboratory is also empanelled by Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) for sampling and analysis of water/waste water and Air/Emissions.
The Laboratory is headed by General Manager (Quality Control and R&D) assisted by Sr. Managers (Quality Control), Managers (Quality Control), Sr. Laboratory Supervisors, Laboratory Supervisors, Chemists and General workmen.
The Laboratory is equipped with the most modern fully automatic and sophisticated instruments which are standard test method specific for accurate analysis. Testing equipments are calibrated periodically using Certified Reference Materials Traceable to National/International Standards.
Standard test methods of American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Institute of Petroleum (IP), ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation), Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), Universal Oil Products (UOP)-USA,. Shell International BV (SMS), APHA etc are adopted.
Some of the microprocessor based fully automated critical Equipments, for Certification of Finished Products are:-
- RON and MON Engine for Octane Rating of Motor Gasoline (Petrol).
- CETANE Engine for Cetane rating of High Speed Diesel (HSD).
- GC (Gas Chromatography) for the determination of Benzene in Motor Gasoline, Component analysis of LPG, Naphtha and Mixed Xylene.
- HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) for the determination of aromatics in HSD.
- Automatic Distillation units for Distillation characteristic for Petroleum products at atmospheric condition and under vacuum conditions.
- Flash Point apparatus for the determination of Flash points.
- XRF (X-Ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy) for the determination of Sulphur content from parts per million ranges to percentage ranges.
- Induction Period testing apparatus for the storage stability of Motor Gasoline.
- Apparatus for the determination of Storage Stability of HSD and Furnace Oil (FO).
- HFRR (High Frequency Reciprocating Rig) Lubricity Evaluator for HSD and BOCLE (Ball On Cylinder Lubricity Evaluator) for ATF.
- JFTOT (Jet Fuel Thermal Oxidation Tester) for ATF (Aviation Turbine Fuel) thermal stability.
- Cumulative Channel Particulate Counter for ATF.
- EMCEE Electronics -1140 for Micro Separation Index of ATF.
- Low Temperature bath for Kinematic Viscosity of ATF at Minus 20°C.
- Automated instrument for Freezing Point of ATF, Pour Point of HSD and FO.
- Automatic Density Meter.
- Programmable automatic Titrators.
Well established Laboratory is maintained where analysis of water, waste water and solid waste materials are analysed as per standard test methods such as ASTM, BIS, APHA and KSPCB stipulated test methods.
Some of the sophisticated instruments used are:-
- ICP-MS for trace heavy metals in water, waste water or solid waste (such as oily sludge, bio-remediation samples, spent catalyst, spent carbon and spent clay samples) at parts per trillion (10-12) levels.
- AAS (Atomic absorption Spectrophotometer) with Graphite Furnace for trace elements in the range parts per billion (10 9)/
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer for colorimetric estimation of impurities like phenols, Sulphides, Iron, Hexavalent Chromium and Phosphorous in the range of mg/L.
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC) analyser for the determination of Organic and Inorganic Carbon contents in water and waste water samples.
- Ion Chromatography for the determination of Anions and Cations in water samples.
- Micro kjeldhal distillation set up for the determination of Ammonical Nitrogen and Total kjeldhal Nitrogen.
- Oil content analyser to determine oil content in the range of parts per million (ppm).
- BOD Incubator for the determination of Biological Oxygen Demand .
- COD digester with HACH Spectrophotometer for the determination of Chemical Oxygen Demand.
- Precision pH meter for the determination of pH of water samples
- Turbidity meter for the determination of Turbidity of water samples
- Precision Sartorious balance to weigh nearest to 0.00001 g.
- Autoclave for sterilization of glasswares and for conducting microbiological analysis with Laminar air flow
- Flame Photometer for the determination of sodium and potassium.
- Temperature controlled Muffle furnace and hot air ovens for drying and ashing.
- Deep Freezer to retain the samples under controlled temperature.
Analysis is carried out by well trained by Chemists/Officers.
Research and Development (R&D) section
MRPL R&D section objective and focus is on innovation through sustained process of research & development in technological areas in Petroleum Refining and petrochemicals.
MRPL R&D section is committed to:
- Set up of world class facilities to undertake research and development activities in areas such as Catalysis and Corrosion.
- Create a vibrant and challenging R&D environment in MRPL R&D section to attract best knowledge base and develop competency for basic and applied research for innovation, invention and discovery and for effective implementation of the technological breakthroughs to bring techno-economical benefits to the organization and to the nation.
- Collaborate with national and international institutes and centre of excellent technological centers for collaborative research in frontiers of research in Energy sector.
MRPL’s R&D centre is focused for:
- The development of value added products from Bitumen.
- Provide technological & analytical support to Technical Services for Catalyst selection and other additives selection.
- Enhance customer satisfaction by providing analytical and technical support for customer complaints.
MRPL R&D Activities:
- Product Development:
- Bitumen Emulsion - Development of very stabile and high quality Bitumen Emulsion.
- Crude Evaluation:
- Evaluation of crude and crude blends for detailed physical and chemical characterization.
- Catalyst Evaluation:
- Physico-chemical characterization of FCC catalyst for catalyst selection and for decision making on catalyst procurement.
- Physico-chemical characterization and catalyst activity selectivity determination of E- cat for optimizing fresh catalyst and additive dosage.
- Polypropylene Compounding and property evaluation based on market demand and customer requirements.
R&D laboratory is equipped with sophisticated testing equipments such as:
- LABORATORY MODEL BITUMEN EMULSION UNIT – studying different formulations of Bitumen Emulsions and their stability.
- TRUE BOILING POINT APPARATUS – for fractional distillation of Crude Oil for yield pattern fraction property evaluation.
- ADVANCED FCC CATALYST MICRO ACTIVITY EVALUATION UNIT – for conversion, selectivity evaluation of FCC catalyst.
- FCC CATALYST DEACTIVATION UNIT – for FCC catalyst steam and metallation deactivation studies.
- PIONA PRE-FRAC GAS CHROMATOGRAPH - for the detailed analysis of MAT products.
- AUTOMATED SORPTOMETER – for characterization of Catalysts for Surface area, pore-size, pore-volume and to determine the active sites.
- X-RAY DIFFRACTOMETER – for the determination of crystal structure and phase identification of Catalyst and other adsorbent materials.